søndag den 26. maj 2013

Bye surgical ward - hello medical ward.

I've been here for almost two months, and I am now half way through this exchange - times flies, when you're having fun, even if you're not actually having it. If someone were to ask me, what I've learnt so far, I'd have trouble answering a question like that, because to be frank, I'm not sure what exactly I've learnt, but if you were to ask me this very same question in a few weeks, I'd probably be able to give you a decent and credible answer. But for now, let's just reminisce about the past six weeks...

I finished my internship at the surgical ward that I was at, and I can honestly say that I'm sad that I have to transfer to a different ward. One could argue that I was only being sad, because of the horrible things I've heard about the other ward, but that's not the case. I actually felt like part of the team on my ward, granted some days were longer (well, they weren't longer, but felt like it for sure!) than others, but all in all, I had a real good time at my ward. 
It almost feels like an act, because I got raving reviews of my performance at the ward by my mentor, who was the one stuck with me. Apparently I was humble, very caring, kind, attentive and embracing and open-minded towards the differences and didn't let them stop me into leaping (diving head in first!) into situations that were unfamiliar to me - I know, eh? Fooled her good! ;)

On Tuesday I start another six weeks at a medical ward, mainly dealing with cardiac patients. This could turn out to be a good experience, seeing that I actually did a ten week internship at a cardiology ward back home. So I should have an advantage, albeit that can also bite my in the arse and maybe make me even more narrow-minded than I already am, because I have a good grasp of patients with these types of problem. I guess only time will tell if it's one or the other, or maybe even a mixture of both? I know I'm excited and a bit scared to start there, because of the horro stories, but hey, I'll bring my flash light and pepper spray, that ought to hold the monsters at bay, right?

-xoxo-



Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar